Monday, November 26, 2012

Gifts of the Holy Spirit


The gifts of the Holy Spirit are Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety, and Fear of the Lord. In my life, these gifts are helping me to grow into a better person. Through Wisdom, I see the world in a new way. I can find how things are connected to God, and how to find peace within the world and myself. Understanding helps me to appreciate God and his grace. With understanding comes the opportunity for me to help and lead others the right way. Counsel is the gift that helps me make or choose the right decision even though it could be hard. In the end, it works out and I receive joy and comfort from the decision I made. Fortitude is the power for me to avoid evil and the devil and instead do good acts. Because I am human and there are a lot of temptations in the world, I need fortitude so I can avoid these temptations. Knowledge helps me see through the illusions and temptation of the world and helps me to focus and put my trust in God. Piety is serving God. From Piety I have received a greater sense of love and I love other more because we are connected as being God’s children. Finally there is Fear of the Lord. At first I didn’t understand this one, but I realized it is like a parent and a child relationship. You fear your parent especially if you do something wrong.

In your teenage years, I believe that I need a lot of Fortitude. In this time period you are getting peer pressured into doing a lot of things such as drinking, smoking, having sex, and using drugs. This is also a time period where parent start to give you more freedom and you might stop relying or your parents to take you places because you or your friends can driving. Fortitude is needed so that you don’t fall victim to these temptations of the world and that you can stay on the right path. During this time it is hard to fight temptations if everyone around you is doing it and they are pressuring you to do it. I need the strength to fight off these earthly sins and the devil’s advances on me. Fortitude gives us determination, energy, courage, and strength to be perseverant, steadfast, and patient in during times of great trial and temptations. The more fortitude that you have makes it less likely for you to fall prey to temptations of the devil and sin. The worst years of being a teenager are coming up soon and that is college. You are away from home and usually the worst things happen when there is no parental supervision.    

No comments:

Post a Comment